- This event has passed.
Special Virtual IRF Roundtable on the Ongoing Plight of the Yazidis in Iraq
August 19, 2020 at 10:00 am - 11:00 am EDT
SPECIAL VIRTUAL IRF ROUNDTABLE
ON THE ONGOING PLIGHT OF THE YAZIDIS IN IRAQ
- Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2020
- Time: 10:00 am — 11:00 am EST
- Location: Zoom (the meeting link will only be sent to those who RSVP)
- Preview: Please join us for a special session on the current situation of the Yazidi community in Sinjar, Iraq. On August 3rd, 2014, the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) began a genocidal campaign against the Yazidi ethnoreligious minority that involved ethnic cleansing in the form of mass executions, forced conversions, and widespread sexual violence. These attacks resulted in the massacre of thousands of Yazidis and displacement of over 350,000 Yazidis to Internally Displaced Person (IDP) camps in Northern Iraq. Many of the approximately 150,000 Yazidis who have returned to their ancestral homelands in the region of Sinjar are struggling to rebuild their lives. The return of Yazidis to the area remains particularly slow. The discussion will address steps for policy recommendations and action points to focus on including provisions of basic services and restoration of infrastructure in Sinjar, justice and accountability for ISIS perpetrators, protection of Yazidis in Syria, improvements to the local governance and security in Sinjar.
Reminder: this meeting is off the record. Everyone shall follow the Chatham House Rule. Any information disclosed during the meeting may be reported by those present but the source of that information may not be explicitly or implicitly identified. NO video or audio taping is allowed.
Note on Security: since this is an online meeting using the Zoom platform, we cannot guarantee 100% security. Zoom takes security seriously (read Security at Zoom) and we will take several precautions ourselves. Access information will only be sent to those who RSVP and participant lists will be reviewed before and during the meeting. However, outside parties may still access or view this meeting.
CALL FOR RSVPs
- And with your RSVP, please let us know if you have something specific to raise about the Ongoing Plight of Yazidi in Iraq during the open discussion following the speakers’ presentations.