- This event has passed.
Building Mutual Understanding Between Muslims, Christians, and Jews as an Abrahamic Family Through Education
January 18 at 7:30 am - 9:30 am ESTFree
Hosted by the Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs and the Leimena Institute, this webinar will look at how we can build mutual understanding and respect between Muslims, Christians, and Jews as an Abrahamic family through education, especially through primary and secondary schools. Such education is urgently needed nowadays where Islamophobia, antisemitism, and other forms of religious hatred are abound. The speakers will attempt to address the following questions: (1) Will an education on building a mutual understanding and respect between Muslims, Christians, and Jews as an Abrahamic family help promote religious moderation and tolerance in general? Why?; (2) From the perspective of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, what needs to be addressed in such education in schools and universities?; and (3) What experiences or examples of such education where Muslims, Christians, and Jews learn to affirm their commonalities and respect their differences?
• H.E. Yaqut Cholil Qoumas (Indonesian Minister of Religious Affairs)
• Drs. Jakob Tobing, MPA (Chairman, Leimena Institute)
• Dr. Alwi Shihab (Senior Fellow, Leimena Institute)
• H.E. Sheikh Dr. Mohammad bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa (Secretary General of the Muslim World League and Member of Saudi Arabia’s Council of Senior Scholars)
• Rev. Dr. Henriette T. Hutabarat-Lebang (Chairwoman of the Communion of Churches in Indonesia’s Advisory Council and Member of the National Education Standard Agency)
• Chief Rabbi David Rosen, KSG, CBE (International Director of Interreligious Affairs of the American Jewish Committee and Member of the Board of Directors of KAICIID)
• Prof. Dr. M. Amin Abdullah (Distinguished Professor at the Sunan Kalijaga State Islamic University and Chairman of Indonesian Academy of Sciences’s Cultural Commission)
Matius Ho (Executive Director, Leimena Institute)