- This event has passed.
2nd Interfaith Leadership Forum: Human Dignity and Solidarity-Interfaith Responses to Fratelli Tutti
May 20 at 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm EDTFree
Fratelli Tutti (All brothers and sisters), subtitled “on Fraternity and Social Friendship” is the third encyclical of Pope Francis. The document was signed on October 3, 2020 during Pope Francis’s visit to the top of his namesake St. Francis of Assisi and was released on his feast day. It borrows its title from St. Francis’s Admonitions.
Fratelli Tutti is Catholic in terms of its origin, yet universal in terms of its substance. The encyclical addresses a set of contemporary global challenges that threaten global peace and highlights “fraternity” as a remedy to build a just world. As a sign of recognition of its global appeal, the United Nations declared February 4 as the International Day of Human Fraternity beginning in 2021.
Fratelli Tutti is the focal point of the 2nd Interfaith Leadership Forum. This conversation will bring together a diverse array of faith leaders and scholars in the DMV area and beyond for an interactive exchange on some of the most pressing issues of our age. As the search for answers on how to emerge better into a post-pandemic society continues, a collective reflection on Fratelli Tutti can renew hopes and illuminate the way forward.
Breakout session themes and co-chairs
- Kim Lamberty – Director of Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation (JPIC), Society of the Sacred Heart
- Ann Delorey – Program Director, Interfaith Council of Metropolitan Washington
- Rev. Beverly Goines – Assistant Pastor, National City Christian Church in Washington
- Rev. David Lindsey – Executive Director, Interfaith Council of Metropolitan Washington Immigration
- Rev. Sharon Stanley-Rea – Director, Refugee & Immigration Ministries (RIM), Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Elket Rodriquez – Immigration Attorney, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship Advocacy
- Amr Abdalla – Professor Emeritus, University of Peace
- Ibrahim Anli – Executive Director, Rumi Forum